July 30, 2012

To Chick-Fil-A or Not...That Is NOT The Question!

My sleepy little town doesn't have a Chick-Fil-A. Closest we got was when McD's had their version with the Southern Breaded chicken sandwich, which was sort of like marrying the ugly brother...You got something, but it wasn't what you wanted.  Chick-Fil-A was a short trip up the road to the big city.  Ahhh, and how I loved those rare moments. Steamy buns, just-the-right-amount of greasiness, and pickle flavors.  (I don't like pickles, but I love the flavor. I always get them, but then take them off. I think it's a texture thing....or a weird thing.)  And waffle fries!  And the coolest ketchup packets evah!  And lemonade! And ice dream cones...oh, the soft serve.  Mercy.


It seems that as of late, the president of Chick-Fil-A, Dan Cathy, has started a little bit of a shit storm.  One more facebook status update about it might just put me over the line.  It would seem that he and his company have given quite a large sum of money to groups who are against gay and lesbian humans being able to get married.  I'm sure there is a more inflammatory way to say this, but my point is not to stir anyone's oats.  Amazon, on the other hand, along with companies like Google and Starbucks, have given money to the opposing team.  


Here's a little food for thought (pun intended 'cause I'm cheesy like that.)  In my world of facebook, I've had friends posting support both ways.  Some are screaming they'll never eat at Chick-Fil-A again.  Others are ready to commit to it 24-7-365 for a lifetime of chicken-y goodness and support.  Whatever.  No, really.  I could care less.  Wanna know why?   Opinions are like assholes...everybody has one (I've not tested that theory, though.)  That's why.


Before we go any further, I'm not telling you which side of the fence I'm sitting on.  (I'm sticking my tongue out right now.)  It's not important.  What is important is that we live in a country where anyone is supposed to have the right to speak his/her opinion and, if he/she chooses, to support that opinion financially.  Not everyone on our Earth is so lucky.  


So, my point?  If you disagree with what Chick-Fil-A supports, don't ever bite into one of their sandwiches again.  Ban those waffle fries and decree that lemonade.  It's okay.  If you believe as they do, then eat there every damn day of your life.  If your meal is $4.87, pay with a $20 and don't ask for change.  Leave it as a donation.  Either way, it's all good.  Have an opinion.  It's okay.


What eats me is people who are calling for the collapse of Chick-Fil-A.  This is a huge company (okay, it's not McD's, but there are still a lot of people employed there) and its financial ruin would make our already crappy economy even crappier for some people.  How acceptable would it be if there was a huge outcry for the collapse of a company because they supported the opposing position?  People would scream about hate and discrimination and bigotry and whatever else would grab a headline.  Then there would be the injustice and how-dare-you's.  Because Mr. Cathy's position is what it is, it seems okay to wish financial harm upon the company.  I'm not sure that's the road we want to travel.


If you want someone to listen to you and consider changing his/her mind, then you have to treat him/her like a human being.  You can't go all Jersey Shore and "Come at me, bro" and expect someone to listen to your words.  I like to think of it as civil discussion.  We talk...not scream.  We respect each other.  Maybe one of us plants a seed in the other's mind. Maybe we still give our money to our own causes and silently hate each other.  But.  But what if one conversation changes one mind.  We should treat each conversation and interaction with another human being as if it could change the world...cause it might. 














Wonder if McDonald's has improved that chicken sandwich any????  

3 comments:

  1. I think I love you. Seriously.

    GREAT post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Toni!! Much love for the comment; made my day!!!

      Delete
  2. I also didn't grow up with Chik Fil A or however you spell it. We don't have many of them in New England. Since moving to the midwest, I've maybe passed 2 while on the highway. I agree, everyone has an opinion. And whether or not someone eats at a chain restaurant really isn't going to affect much. It'll be interesting to see how their business does in the next 6 months. Or if any of their employees quit!

    ReplyDelete