June 13, 2011

Am I The Only One Who Thinks This?!

Two of my smartest friends and I have an on-going conversation.  It starts when we have a "situation" of some sort and we see a very practical solution, but for some insane reason, others don't.  Then committees are formed, research is done, tests are implemented, studies are gathered, spreadsheets are made, etc.  All the while, we sit and look at each other like, "Really?"  We're not geniuses, but we have some common sense.  The whole time the process is taking place, we feel stupid.  Why? Because, obviously, if others don't see it, then we must not get the whole picture.  These others make lots more money than us, and they have offices (REAL offices!), so they must be wiser in the ways of the world, right? I mean, there is no way a solution would be THAT easy, right?  Ehhh...

I had this thought again today when another friend posted about her experience with buying medication.  Her son remarked on how he felt sorry for people who did not have insurance.  Dear friends I know pay several hundred dollars a month for their medications.  I'm sure there are others who pay thousands.  I read an article today about an older lady who has cancer.  Although her Medicare paid for the treatments she needed, the pill she needed to take cost $2400 a  month.  Um, yes, that was ONE pill.  That makes my stomach hurt, let alone my purse.

Because I don't live under a rock most of the time, I know there has been and will continue to be a huge uproar over the healthcare plan.  I won't try to critique it, because I would only show my ignorance.  Here's my question...what about those people who have insurance, but the medications have gone through the roof because of the companies trying to cushion themselves?  What happens to the families who go to work everyday, but have to spend a week's pay at the pharmacy?  Kinda hard to fuel an economic recovery when I'm leaving it at the drugstore.  Trust me, I'd much rather drop that kind of cash on some shoes or a purse. 

I get that medicine is a for-profit industry.  I know drug companies, while trying to save/better lives, are not doing it for free.  I know it takes money to research and market new meds.  I get it. I just get a little ticked when  someone's DEDUCTIBLE is $2400 for a pill. 

The American Dream was, according to my grandpa, all about working hard and doing better for your children.  You set an example with your work ethic and your morals.  You teach them right and wrong.  The quality of life, for the most part, is dictated by how hard you work for it.  Nobody, by God, owes you anything, and it's not the government's responsibility to take care of you.  If you take care of yourself, then no one else has to.   Unfortunately, that's getting harder to do with medications costing a half month's pay.

I don't know what the answer is.  I don't pretend to.  I just can't help but think that giving uninsured people insurance doesn't help those who now can't afford to pay for the medication they need.  Sort of my friends and I looking at each other and wondering if we're the only ones who see this, I wonder if I've just missed something.  Is there some solution in the 90 million page document that addressed this?  I hope so.

P.S.  I've declared I'm an idiot in this department, so you don't have to!   :)

No comments:

Post a Comment