June 5, 2011

Go Love a Geek!!

I heard on the radio the other day that being called a geek is now a compliment.  My, how times have changed...that was almost a fightin' word when I was cruising the playground.  Apparently, no longer is this the case.  I see it supported by those gigantor glasses everyone is now wearing as fashion accessories. 

I was fortunate enough to grow up with a variety of friends. Not to say everyone loved high school. Many people I've talked to have said they wouldn't go back for a bajillion dollars.  Of course there were groups of different sorts ~ the jocks, the artsy, the future criminals ~ but we pretty much got along for the most part.  Having said that, I'm sure there were others who don't feel the same way.

Our class was fairly close, and the turn-out for our ten-year reunion was pretty amazing (as far as ten-year, high school reunions go).  Everyone got along great, except the date of one graduate who stole from the bar.  Yeah, that was a nasty moment...I wasn't concerned with who was divorced or what jobs people had; I was truly just enjoying seeing everyone.  

 I did notice something, though.  The guys who were considered "geeky" or "nerds" in high school had bloomed!  No longer were they wallflowers or quiet, shy boys sitting on the sidelines.  They were the life of the party, dancing, talking, cracking jokes...putting all those tired-looking jocks to shame, I say.

My own Better Half was one of those boys in high school.  And, though I loved him then, he was too blind/smart to notice.  He always made me laugh.  Looks may wither, but a man who makes me laugh is worth his weight in gold.  Really, when we're old and gray in our matching recliners at the old folks' home, am I gonna care if he was hot 60 years ago?  Doubtful.  If he can make me wet my Depends with his jokes, he's my recliner-mate for life!

I wish all those young girls out there would take a look at that brainy little boy sitting beside them in the cafeteria...I wish they could look into a crystal ball and see the "bad boy" they are trying so hard to impress may turn out to be a cold dung pile in a decade or so...I wish they'd just give geek a chance.  

1 comment:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!!!!! But you know, if those young girls can't see the amazing creature behind the glasses or braces or simple lack-of-confidence, they don't deserve 'em!

    ReplyDelete