May 26, 2012

THAT Moment...Reclaimed Youth


I always giggle at my parents when they tell me they are going to see some music group from their generation.  The other evening I drove past a venue here in our wee town and Blood, Sweat and Tears was playing. I could only think of how drastically things have changed since their heyday...Less sparkles and more AARP. (Note that I totally dig on them, but my soul is old that way.)


Love the people who highjacked our pic!
Yesterday I joined their ranks.  I became that person who ventured out to see a band from my youth.  And it rocked.   Age ain't got nothin' on us.


I was so, so young and naive when I bought their first studio album.  Back then, there were brick-and-mortar record stores; none of this online business.  The guy working the counter asked me to describe their music, and I couldn't manage to put them into a box.  I still can't put them into a box.


Once there was a boy I loved in a strange and weird way.  He was gone way too soon for my liking.  I remember riding around listening to Jane's Addiction with him and talking about all those oh-so-important things we talk about when we are young and unjaded, but think the world is out to get us.  Those moments are tucked away, wrapped in the years that have passed and softened by time. Sometimes I still dig them up, picking away at the scabs left, and wish for one more conversation.  


Last night was an amazing show.  It was partly because I felt young and alive again, but it was also the fact that Jane's is a show.  The lights were fantastic, although the strobes kill me a little now.  There were corseted ladies dangling from the ceiling with hoop skirts at least 20 feet long; a stuffed bear on his hindlegs was on stage; a barber was set up in the lobby along with a tattoo artist.  They have a knack for combining the misfits into a spectacular moment in time.


Oh, Perry, you have no idea....much love.


When it was over, I came home and knew for that split second where I fit.  I had the fleeting thought early in the evening that I shouldn't be there; I should be home with my children being a respectable mom and wife.  I mean, real moms...good moms...didn't traipse off into the night to go chase down their youth, right? Then I realized part of being a good mom is sharing music with my kids.  The first albums I owned were Cream, the Doors, and Jimi Hendrix.  Imagine if my daddy had tried to hide his music from me...a very sad state of affairs, indeed.


The only moment I missed was them not playing my ultimate song, I Would For You. I wanted to sing it with all the breath in my body and all the unspoken words in my soul.  I wanted the heavens and those in it to know that I would've for you.  If you wondered ...what I would...I would do anything if I could...You know I would.

No comments:

Post a Comment