May 15, 2012

Why I Hate People and You Should, Too

perfectscoops.blogspot.com
I realized something today. Actually, it was more reminded of something.  When I had to choose vanilla or chocolate ice cream, I picked vanilla. I am vanilla.  I am boring.  It's okay; I'm embracing it.  I will never be the one to go sky-diving. You can hardly get me in an elevator.  I will never travel to remote parts of the Earth because I don't even like to leave my own small town. I live vicariously through all the other insane people in my life...it's all good.


Stirring people up is not a strength of mine.  I don't pick verbal fights with other people because I don't know that I would win.  Granted, my tongue is a touch acerbic at times; however, as we get older, I realize being a smart-ass doesn't always win the argument.  Some people actually use KNOWLEDGE to prove their point.  Who woulda thunk it?


So, I'm vanilla and I don't like agitating the masses...so why do I hate people?


I'm so, so over the polarizing of humanity.


partyhardpolitics.com
I hate Democrats for assuming all Republicans are heartless, batshit crazy religious nuts who want to deprive every human of any personal freedom.  I'm tired of them yelling about how it's treasonous to disapprove of the President.  I'm beyond over trying to scare the barely-18 voting set into being a democrat for all the wrong reasons.


I hate Republicans for assuming all Democrats all freaky liberals who want to spend everyone else's money on their pet causes.  I'm tired of them questioning the birth certificate of the President.  I'm beyond over them trying to scare voters with religion and "what is our world coming to?" propaganda.  


It's not that simple.  There are principles on both sides that make sense.  I don't want anyone imposing their morals on my life, so why should I do that to someone else?  At the same time, basic economic principles dictate your output can't be larger than your input. Not rocket science, right?


At this point I can't even have rational conversations with people relating to government.  Used to, people would argue every four years, then go back to playing nice until the next election. Not so anymore.  I don't even dare go near anything political because it's fraught with peril.  Therein lies the danger.


If we can't have open discourse with people whose views vary from our own, we will never learn anything.  Sometimes you have to open your mind, no matter how set it is, and think about what the other side has to say.  You may walk away and still think they're whacked out.  But...You might find some merit in what they are saying.  You might find something that jives more than what you currently believe.  It might be different than what you were raised to believe, but that's okay.  If we didn't try to learn and grow, the Earth would still be flat and at the center of the Universe.


straightdope.com
Don't get me wrong: I'm not running through a field of daisies with my peace flag dripping of patchouli.  I understand there are times when you can't just hug and sing kumbaya.  You can't not work or contribute to society and then whine about taking care of our brothers and sisters.  Our society requires everyone to contribute if we want it to thrive, but there has to be a happy medium.  There has to be a way to care about each other without all this bickering.  There just has to be.  


Maybe I don't hate people.  Maybe I hate the monsters we become when someone disagrees with us.  Alas, you probably shouldn't hate people, either. 

No comments:

Post a Comment