March 25, 2020

A Day in the Life During a Pandemic, Day Three

Here we are...again.  

It's strange how there is nothing new going on, yet, the whole world is changing in the blink of an eye.  All in all, we are doing well as a human people.  There are some pockets of ugliness, but there will always be those.  I saw a video of a neighborhood in Atlanta cheering as healthcare workers were going into work.  It made my heart race and my eyes water as I watched because I knew that action came from a place of love.  

There's lots of us living with anxiety on the daily, but it's worrisome how that looks for us in these times.  I giggled when I saw a meme that said "This is what those of us living with anxiety have been preparing for!"  That is true in some ways!  My anxiety tends to spiral down the "what if?" lane....What if I have a heart attack while driving?  What if the house catches on fire in the middle of the night?  What if? What if? What if?

Some people fear how self-quarantining/social distancing will impact those with mental health issues.  I don't have a good answer for this.  It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.  I worry about those who are struggling, and I try to reach out through FaceBook or texts.  I don't know that's enough evidence for me to abandon the guidelines.  So, if you have people in your life who may be struggling, take the time to check on them.  It won't take a second, but it might be the best thing you ever do for them.  Matter of fact, check on everyone.  We all need to feel loved and connected right now.

I have not been as rattled as I thought I would be.  I calmly prepared what I thought we'd need.  (No, I didn't hoard anything. I have a reasonable amount for my family and that is all.  Pinkie promise.)  I thought out what our days might look like and got things together.  Now, being honest, I got sidetracked by "Love is Blind" on Netflix when Abby Wambach mentioned it on a post.  I haven't gotten up when I planned.  I only walked one day.  I haven't read any complete books.  Lordy, I still have a People magazine I haven't cracked open!  So, not what I had tried to plan, but I'm being kind to myself. 

This morning I had a strange thought:  Our house, which we all love, is becoming confining. Not quite a prison, but I wonder if we'll feel differently about it when this is over.  I am grateful we are here and not spread out across the country, but the walls can become smaller as the days continue to pass.  The weather has been excessively rainy, so I am hopeful tomorrow will be a good day to bask in the sunshine.

There were roughly 40,000 new cases from 3/16/2020 to 3/23/2020 according to the CDC.  That's insane to me.  Our town is up to 5 cases, all of whom traveled together over spring break at the beginning of March.  There may be more since I last checked.  I try not to check the numbers too frequently because, ya know, I worry more.

There's lots of Zoom (video conferencing) going on right now.  As far as education, school districts run the gamut from "no instruction/try to rest/read a book" to "HERE'S YOUR FULL 8 HOURS OF INSTRUCTION DUE BY 4PM!!!"  There is lots of craziness out there right now for how to deliver education.

My fear (because equity is my jam) is there will be places where the divide is widened even further by access to educational resources during this time.  My district talks about equity frequently, but it has been part of every discussion we've had related to COVID-19.  I don't know that others are doing this, and it breaks my heart.  We don't all live in homes full of books or with access to unlimited internet.  We can't fix that right now, but we do need to bear that in mind as we move forward.

So that is all for Day 3.  I'm going to go clean something just to move around. I have some books to read.  I bought a beautiful paint-by-numbers, so I can do that.  One day, someone will purchase this at a garage sale and think they've discovered some rare, exceptionally talented artist only to learn it's a middle-aged woman's kit painting, and all their retirement plans in Tahiti are washed away!

Shout out to my husband and our anniversary being today!  There's no one else I'd rather be self-quarantined with than him!!

No comments:

Post a Comment