March 22, 2020

A Day in the Life During a Pandemic

March 22, 2020

Well, here we are. A friend recently posted on social media that blogs and the like might serve as primary sources for future generations. Being that I like (okay, love) words, I thought this might be a good outlet for the next few weeks.  My goal is to post daily or at least every other day.  Pandemics can make your brain go places it's not used to visiting, and that can be, well, it can be hard.

So where is here? I'm in a small town in East Tennessee at the foot of the mountains.  It's beautiful, although I sometimes forget to see the natural beauty in my everyday life.  It's spring, so that means lots and lots of allergies for me. People are encouraging others to get out and go for walks, etc., but that seems like the worst idea possible for me right now.  A good car ride might be in order.  I'm social distancing from pollen right now.

My corner of the world is in the weird place of between right now. Physicians of our state are urging our governor to order a "shelter in place" order to help slow the spread of COVID-19, but he doesn't seem to be motivated.  The result is lots and lots of "I don't know what to do" and that's not helping or calming anyone. Leadership shows up or falls apart in times of crisis, and I think he is falling into the latter category, sadly.  People are wanting to self-quarantine at home, but they still have jobs to go to.  Most people right now are encouraging everyone go to work (if they have to) and then go home.  No extra trips anywhere except grocery and pharmacy. Hopefully common sense will prevail even if leadership doesn't chose to lead.

Life at our house?  I have two teenagers and a tween.  

The 16-years old boy is aggravated at times because "all my friends are going places!"  That's when I get to break out the "I'M NOT THEIR MOMMA!" line.  Overall, he is being flexible even if he gets bored at times.  

The oldest just had her first year of college cut short, and we will move her out of her dorm this week.  Being honest, I'm a little creeped out by having to go out among that much humanity, but she did a great job of bringing most things home at spring break.  As an art major, we've had to get creative with a space for her to work, but we made a cool little corner in the basement that she can get dirty.  

The tween is doing pretty well.  She wants to read books to me, and that's super cool.  We started Lemony Snickets last night, and I just got to chill while she read.  She's already got an Amazon cart full of school supplies to prepare for distance learning, which is not guaranteed (the cart OR the distance learning.)  She's all about some highlighters right now.  I see a few weeks of board games.

The adults?  Not sure where we are right now.  I'm not panicked.  I saw a meme that said this was what people with anxiety have been planning for their entire lives.  True story.  I have my moments, but when you're brain has lived in disaster land 24-7 for as long as you can remember, this is just another day.  For the moment...I know this can change any second.  I am having trouble reading books, which is sooooo not like me. I usually rip through them in a day or three at most.  Not right now for some reason.  I seem to be tethered to social media.  Maybe it makes me feel more connected?  I am trying to stay away from sensationalized, partisan news (is there still such a thing?!) and rely on cdc.gov information.  So much unknown and we are all just responding in the moment.

My husband's job does not allow for him to be off work during this, and that won't change.  I am not sure what that looks like for us.  I can't imagine if he were exposed and had to quarantine away from us.  I am a fixer by nature, and I can't fix this.  That's sobering.

As of today we had one positive case, but as testing increases that number will increase.  That's where my emotions start to unravel.  What if it's people I know (and it will be)? How can I help take care of my parents and my in-laws?  How will this affect my children long-term?  Obviously there are feelings under the surface, but we're still in the "in between" where we know it's coming, but it's not here, yet. I am choosing informed bliss for the moment.

What I am loving at the moment is the beauty I am seeing in others.  Sure, there are pockets of ugly and greed.  People are being snippy on social media (and taking things way too personally) and some purchased massive (MASSIVE) amounts of supplies to gouge buyers on later, but there are beautiful, wonderful, amazing things happening.  People are being kind by getting groceries for others; people are taking time to slow down and wave to neighbors; kids are playing outside; people are, in general, helping....just like Mr. Rogers said they would.   

No comments:

Post a Comment