March 30, 2011

Oooh! A List! And Music! Win!!

I'm pretty sure I was conceived while my parents were listening to music. I know, "eewwwww!" That, however, is the only way to explain my devotion and love for music.  I'm not picky: I'm just as likely to be listening to Black Flag as I am Reba McEntire.  Today's musical choice at school was Breakfast Bossa Nova.  You can see I like a wide range of tunes.

I have no musical gifts.  When Randy on AI is talking about range and melody, he might as well be speaking in tongues for all I understand.  I just love to sing my lungs out when I'm riding down the road.  I've been rolling down my mental playlist of favorite songs, and here is the list (in no particular order) of songs I can't live without.  Literally. 

Hank Williams, Jr. Country Boy Can Survive
Not sure where I was the first time I heard this one, but I remember riding in the car with my parents and listening to it. It made me proud of my little southern town.  If you messed with country folk, they had guns...they weren't afraid to use them either.  And then?  Beechnut in your eye.  Just to make sure you got the point. 



Liz Phair, Divorce Song
I played this song like there was no tomorrow during my college years.  Somewhere along the way, I realized the lyric And the license said you had to stick around until I was dead, but if you're tired of looking at my face I guess I already am was written for me.  That lyric gave me permission, so to speak, to file divorce papers and move on with my life.



Nine Inch Nails, The Only Time
This has always been a fav, and there was a moment in time when it made perfect sense.  I love it...My moral standing is lying down...This is the only time I really feel alive...how perfectly said.  That moment when everything flew out the window and you lived for just one moment without a care of consequence.


Not an official vid, but the only one with clear audio

Tori Amos, Silent All These Years
I've got something to say you know but nothing comes...Um, yeah, too many times I had something to say, but was too chicken to say it.  This reminds me of a girl having a conversation with a boy, but the boy has no idea she is even talking. I also love Talulah because it totally rocks a harpsichord.  Yes, it does.



Willie Nelson, Stardust
Let me make it clear that as much as I love my husband and as old as Willie is, if he asked me to run away with him, I totally would.  That said, this is my favorite song.  I know it's probably an obvious choice in some ways, but maybe that's what makes a classic, well, a classic. It's a standard of excellence, and I think it's pretty excellent. But, I'm biased since I love him so.  It also reminds me of my daddy and my bff's daddy, Mike: They loved some Willie, too, but I don't think they'd have run off with him...



Outkast, B.O.B.
Imagine a slammed kitchen in a super busy restaurant on a hot summer night...the temperature is in the high 80s in there because of all the heat from the gas ranges and ovens...orders are piling in and it's time to step it up. This was the kitchen's song for those nights.  One-nine-nine-nine...It would come on, and the boys in the kitchen would just rock it out.  For a short period of time, we had a golden thing going on...miss those times.



Anthrax and Public Enemy, Bring Tha Noise
No matter that Flav became the only reality show on VH1 and was a bit of a joke at that...When this song comes on the stereo, I play it as loud as I possibly can without blowing all the speakers in my husband's car. Every. Single. Time.



Indigo Girls, Closer to Fine
If I had a dollar for every time I've listened to this song, I could retireDarkness has a hunger that's insatiable...Oh, boy, don't it though!  I listened to this tirelessly the summer I worked with my dear aunt...I sang it when I was happy, and I sang it when I was sad.  It makes me hopeful that you can actually get somewhere close to "fine" other than just giving an empty reply when others ask how you are.  I was lucky enough to see them one summer, and it was an amazing show.  I think they are poets who happen to play instruments. And a tin whistle? Win!



I know there are some I've forgotten because I'm tired, it's late, and I've got a bad tummy tonight; however, I totally reserve the right to add to this list at any point. After all, it is my blog!  Like right now, I realized there is no Prince on this list.  That's obscene...and no Ministry...and no Paul Simon...No Billie Holiday...Yikes!

2 comments:

  1. Tori Amos is always a good choice for me.

    http://ficklecattle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! I'm amazed at the way her lyrics make no sense on paper, but come to life in song.

    ReplyDelete